Department of Botany
Department of Botany came into existence in 1949. The former heads were Shri C. S. Belekar, Shri M. J. Pahade, Shri P. L. Bobde, Shri A. B. Bansod and Dr. K. D. Gomkale. Since August 2005, Dr. A. A. Fulzele is the head with Dr. S. K. Giri, Dr. A. M. Sawane and Ms. S. D. Khalatkar as the faculty members for senior college. The junior college staff includes Dr. S. S. Gunjekar and Dr. V. R. Ramgunde. Three teachers on fixed-pay basis and four support staff members are appointed in the department.
The staff is actively involved in teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and research. Research projects sanctioned by various agencies have been completed by the staff. The department has two well-equipped laboratories with ICT facility, departmental library, museum, herbarium, botanical garden and shade house. Teaching aids in the form of chalk and board, white boards, charts, models, PowerPoint presentations, videos are exercised in the department.
The staff employ ICT tools for enhancing the receptivity of the students. Learning management systems, like MOODLE, and Google classroom are industriously brought to use for the students’ benefit.
The departmental library is enriched with more than 200 books which include reference books, text books, manuals, Floras, book series Wealth of India, etc. The department boasts of a museum with rich and diverse collection of all plant groups, collected over the last 40 years during excursions. Herbaria of Angiosperm families and plant pathology made by the students under the guidance of students are available in the department. A botanical garden with collection of ferns, gymnosperms, hydrophytes and other angiosperms has been developed. Bryophytes, ferns, gymnosperms, medicinal plants and other sensitive plants are provided a protective environment in the shade house. Tanks for growing algae and hydrophytes have been developed.
The department receives the fund for development from general grant of UGC and from research fund received from sanctioning agencies.
|D. G. Dharphode||Laboratory Attendant||9028229616|
|Gopal Dhone||Laboratory Attendant||9970935878|
|Manisha Wakade||Laboratory Attendant|
|Swati Y. Algiwale||Laboratory Attendant||7387674195|
Courses offered by the department:
- At the undergraduate level, Botany is offered as one of the subjects in combination with Chemistry, Zoology, Geology, and Industrial Chemistry.
- Post-graduation in Botany was started from the session 2015-16. The specialization offered at M.Sc. is Applied Mycology and Plant Pathology.
- Short term certificate course on Mushroom Cultivation is offered to the B.Sc. semester I students.
|Names of Recognized guides||Specialization||No. of Ph.D. students|
|Dr. A. A. Fulzele||Mycology||03|
|Dr. S. K. Giri||Aeromycology||–|
|Dr. A. M. Sawane||Palynology, Aerobiology||–|
The faculty members have received funding under research projects from funding agencies like UGC and BARC, DAE, Govt. of India. In total five minor and major projects have been successfully completed by the faculty members of the department.
Facilities offered by the department:
- The following instruments are available in the department:
Cooling Centrifuge, Deep freezer, analytical balances, Laminar Airflow Chamber, UV-Visible spectrophotometer, Electrophoresis Units, HPLC, Distillation units, Rotary shaker, BOD incubator, and research microscopes.
- A well set Mycology laboratory is available.
- Consultation facility for identification of fungi is available.
Conferences/ workshops/ seminars organized:
The following seminars and workshops have been organized by the department:
- UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Recent Trends in Bio-Geo Sciences” on 14th October 2010.
- UGC Funded Motivational Workshop (For Teachers and Students) on “Techniques in Taxonomy: Classical to Molecular Approach” from 30th to 31st March 2012.
- UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Modern Tool and Techniques in Plant Sciences” on 14thMarch 2015.
For the students, following intercollegiate competitions have been organized:
- Inter-collegiate Seminar Competition in association with Indian Science Congress Association (Nagpur Chapter) on 26th February 2013.
- Inter-collegiate Science Model & Poster Competition for UG and PG students on 16th January 2019.
Botanical society and activities conducted under the aegis of the society.
- The office bearers of the Botanical Society are selected for every academic session. They are generally selected on the basis of merit and performance in other curricular activities.
- Under the aegis of Botanical Society, guest lectures by eminent speakers and subject experts, various competitions, science exhibitions, intercollegiate activities (like seminar competitions, poster competitions, etc.), celebration of National Science Day, etc. are organized every year.
- For getting in depth knowledge of plants in their natural habitat, botanical excursions are a regular feature for UG and PG students. One day excursions to nearby areas and long tours to Pachmarhi, Kodaikanal as well as Dehradun and Mussoorie, have been organized. For knowledge about current research, visits to research laboratories for students are arranged.
- Ms. Harsha Mankar, M.Sc. Botany student qualified MH-SET (State Eligibility Test) for Lectureship in June 2019.
- Ms. Punam Bajanghate, M.Sc. Botany student received 2nd prize in Poster Presentation at National Conference on “Current Trends and Future Prospects in Fungal Biotechnology” organized by Institute of Science, Mumbai on February 8th and 9th, 2019.
- Ms. Apeksha Kothe was awarded Jubulpore Horticulture Show Prize by R. T. M. Nagpur University for obtaining highest marks in Botany in B.Sc. first year examination of 2017 at 105th Convocation on 24th March, 2018.
- Ms. Sayali Muley, B.Sc. Semester VI student received 3rd prize in Instinct – 2018, Interuniversity Seminar Competition at J. B. Science College, Wardha on 12th March, 2018.
- Ms. Snehal Chimurkar, M.Sc. Semester IV student and Ms. Kartiki Kawale secured 1st rank in Poster Competition in State Level Seminar on “Current Scenario of Botanical Research” organized by Department of Botany, Shri Shivaji College of Arts, Commerce and Science, Akola on 2nd February, 2018.